Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Director's Chair: W(oo)dy Allen has something to say to you.

 
As you may or may not know, PBS released another great
American Masters Series on Woody Allen last week. Anyone see it?
I would have thought he would have been a great director to tell the story
of Marilyn Monroe, with Scarlett Johansson leading.
My two cents on the bizz.
Anyways,
It was in university when I finally figured out who was the underlying inspiration to anything somewhat funny in contemporary comedy. The Master of Despair has about 89 movies and doesn't seem like he's slowing down. I will not cover all of his movies, but most likely Woody's early funny ones, and his later films that did well over in Europe as opposed to America. 
Here's a great movie done in 1989 with Jean Luc Godard,
French New Wave Master. I got in an unfortunate argument with a
video salesman about Godard's importance to film. I cursed his video shop! This was in the 
summer, not the holidays, so I'm clear.
Without further ado, 
Woody Allen
"Masterbation and Art, the two things I am a complete expert at."

For the french immersion students...

Woody's best in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment