Friday, November 4, 2011

Psychosocial media: The Disturbing Reality about Music Distribution comes true.

11111
This will be a very long and comprehensive article, analytical and hopefully fun to read, with pie charts, pictographs and maybe some embedded podcasts of what is really going on in the film and music world. Everything is changing because of new knowledgeable platforms, but, it is very volatile because like the Academy Award Winning Screenwriter, William Goldman, has famously said, and I find this quote in almost every book I read on film. "Nobody knows anything." I will always remember the 1st of November. As reality hit me and a pal who's name I didn't know, it was surreal. I'm not kidding. We went on mini escapade to find the triple platinum selling artists Slipknot's 10th anniversary album "IOWA". Not one store in Calgary, AB had a copy, Best Buy, Future Shop, HMV, Sloth on 17th, not one business carried it. BEYOND Dissapointing.  I revealed a lot to this lucky follower in a short amount of time. A good summary of what is going on. My writing may turn into a little doom and gloom for a bit, because I write the way I feel about my experiences in the Fall of 2011. With digital technology removing the very emotion from human beings day in and day out. It's kind of hard to see that it got to music too. As there is a very, very good bright side to this, Bad News always first, I will start after the jump when I have compiled the necessary information. For right now I will leave you with yesterdays news, in case you missed it.
I'm not too sure if the windows of HMV got smashed on June 15th 2011. But their inventory has just got gutted, and the tumble as a music giant is going to be a long and hard one. There will be a sale, and I will be there to buy the good stuff. HMV and I, never had any hard feelings. They have about 6 applications with my name on it on file. But, which company doesn't? But on November 11th, it was not only a failure on HMV's part, but a hard fact of where music is today. It was a rude welcome home back to Calgary, Texas for Carmichael Reid. More after the jump.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Vancouver+close+downtown+store/5651783/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 comments:

  1. I think digital media in music is a revolution still in the making. Artists don't need to rely upon the traditional marketing channels of "a dollar a rhyme but we barely get a dime". Artists can use Soundcloud and Itunes to obtain similar revenues to what they had from CD sales, given the percentages the big record companies took--just not the kind of mega-revenues that pop stars had just a decade ago. They have to go back to making a living playing shows and music they love. This is one possibility

    ReplyDelete
  2. First foremost thanks comment. Unfortunately, for major bands like slipknot this where money is made off of pure live shows. Merch, ticket sales and the rapid word of mouth is an understatement on the power that can radiate from live shows. But in the the beginning it is very tough. I am aware of all the possibilities. Live shows for starters is very tough, especially if you are on you're own, relying on free platforms like Soundcloud and Youtube. Live shows, are good. I have attended and managed many, but it's too big of a gamble night in and night out for solid performances. They are relying on tips.... Musicians are not waitresses or waiters, they are entertainers. Not to take anything away from W and W. I was one too, and when you deliver a good deal and you come home with shit. It's disheartening. The challenge is fun to tackle But as for Slipknot it was this instant where you cannot find an album from a triple platinum band anywhere in the city. That's incredibly nuts

    ReplyDelete